Membership in the Saskatchewan Association for Resource Recovery Corp. (SARRC) is made up of 205 first-sellers, wholesalers, distributors and retailers of lubricating oil products in Saskatchewan. SARRC was formed February 12, 1996 to develop, implement and maintain Saskatchewan’s single, cost-effective, province-wide Used Oil Materials Recycling Program. The Membership expanded to include first-sellers, wholesalers, distributors and retailers of antifreeze; antifreeze and Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) containers, effective January 1, 2014. Oil, antifreeze and DEF are called Prescribed Products in the Regulations.
Who is a First Seller?
The Used Petroleum and Antifreeze Products Collection Regulations define‘first seller’ as “the person who first sells Prescribed Products in Saskatchewan and includes a person who brings Prescribed Products into Saskatchewan for use in a commercial enterprise”. Essentially, first sellers are manufacturers, major marketers, wholesalers, distributors and retailers of lubricating oil, oil filters, antifreeze and oil, antifreeze and Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) sold in containers of 50 litres or less.
Who is required to register with SARRC?
- Prescribed Products manufacturers/packagers that sell products to wholesalers, distributors, retailers in Saskatchewan
- Distributors, wholesalers and retailers that purchase their Prescribed Products outside of Saskatchewan and sell to other wholesalers, distributors, retailers or consumers within Saskatchewan
- Retailers, dealers, distributors and wholesalers in Saskatchewan that receive their inventories from their company’s head office or distribution centre outside of Saskatchewan and Prescribed Products are sold for the first time in Saskatchewan.
- Companies that purchase Prescribed Products outside of Saskatchewan and bring it into Saskatchewan for their own use in their operations
NOTE: If you are currently registered with SARRC as an oil or filter first seller, you do not have to re-register with SARRC. Only first sellers of antifreeze, and antifreeze & Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) containers (materials now covered by the new Regulations) and who are not currently members of SARRC, are invited to register with SARRC.
How does my company apply for membership with SARRC?
Step one: Review The Used Petroleum and Antifreeze Products Collection Regulations complete with cover letter, the SARRC Bylaws and the SARRC Membership Agreement.
Step two: Complete and forward the following documents for processing and activation of membership:
- 2 copies of the SARRC Membership Agreement
- A cheque in the amount of $210.00 ($200.00 plus 5% GST) made payable to SARRC
- Complete the Member Contact Information Form
- Mail or courier to:
#5 – 307 Gray Avenue
Saskatoon SK S7N 4R7
Phone (306) 652-7217
What are The Used Petroleum and Antifreeze Products Collection Regulations?
The Used Petroleum and Antifreeze Products Collection Regulations are administered by Saskatchewan Ministry of Environment and state that no first seller shall sell, distribute or offer for sale, either directly or indirectly, oil, oil filters, diesel exhaust fluid, diesel fuel filters or antifreeze in Saskatchewan unless the first seller operates a product management program approved by the minister or the first seller enters into an agreement with a person who operates on the first seller’s behalf a product management program approved by the minister.
What are the SARRC By-laws?
The SARRC By-laws meet the requirements of the Saskatchewan Non-Profit Corporations Act and provide a framework for membership agreements, governance, auditing and other legal requirements of the SARRC Membership.
What is the SARRC Membership Agreement?
The SARRC Membership Agreement is a signed legal agreement between SARRC and each Member that defines a SARRC Member, the terms of membership and the remittance and compliance review requirements around the Environmental Handling Charges (EHCs).
What products are EHC applicable?
This list now includes antifreeze, antifreeze and DEF containers and is updated from time-to-time.
What are the Environmental Handling Charges (EHCs) and what are the rates?
Environmental Handling Charges or EHCs are a non-government, user paid levy set by the SARRC Membership to operate the Used Oil, Filter and Container Recycling Program.
The current EHC rates are outlined on the SARRC EHC Payment Schedule Remittance Form. The EHCs are remitted monthly or quarterly to SARRC’s contract firm: KPMG LLP.
The new EHC rates for antifreeze, antifreeze and DEF containers were established at the December 10, 2013 General Meeting of SARRC Members.
How do I remit EHCs?
KPMG has been contracted to act as our CA Firm who receives confidential remittances in trust from members. Michelle Lane is your contact person regarding particulars of remitting schedules to their firm and moneys to a trust account.
Online Remittance forms are now available through the Member Login. Click here to see a sample of the online form EHC Payment Schedule Remittance Form. Payment should reference the online form and forwarded immediately to the address below. For additional assistance please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include a copy of the EHC Form as well as the cheque payable to “KPMG in Trust for SARRC”
Attention: SARRC EHC
Suite #500, 475 Second Ave South
Saskatoon SK S7K 1P4
Phone (306) 934-6293
Fax (306) 934-6233
How do I set up for EFT payment?
If you wish to remit EHC amounts by electronic transfer of funds (EFT) from your account to the “KPMG in Trust for SARRC” account, please contact Michelle Lane of KPMG LLP at 306-934-6293 or email@example.com
Who are members of SARRC?
Are there similar Associations in Canada?
- British Columbia Used Oil Management Association (BCUOMA)
- Alberta Recycling Management Authority
- Saskatchewan Association for Resource Recovery Corp. (SARRC)
- Manitoba Association for Resource Recovery Corp. (MARRC)
- Société de gestion des huiles usagées (SOGHU)
- UOMA Atlantic – New Brunswick (UOMA NB)
- UOMA Atlantic – Prince Edward Island (UOMA PE)
- UOMA Atlantic – Newfoundland and Labrador (UOMA NL)
- UOMA Atlantic – Nova Scotia (UOMA NS)
Our Members helping Saskatchewan Make Every Drop Count!